Bettors have been around the block more than a couple of times and generally don’t think so. As such, most of them will take some time to examine their selections. Some do this by researching key pieces of information they deem significant, while others will lean heavily on reliable resources to do the heavy lifting.
There are also combinations of both approaches, and several offshoots, some of which are quite advanced while others aim to keep it simple. In all cases, these bettors are handicapped before making their selections. The endeavor of handicap betting is to take guessing out of the equation. It is tough to beat the oddsmakers on a long-term basis, but those who put in the time and effort can improve their chances of doing so.
For those new to online sports betting, handicapping can appear to its making things more difficult. It’s actually a contradictory case. The aim of handicap betting is to make it simpler for you to make your selections with confidence.
Concepts of Handicapping Sports
Tons of different theories on the best way to handicap sports, and data and information you can consider. Moreover, each sport has its nuances to consider. That can make it all appear really confusing to those starting out.
Thankfully, there is a simple base that you can use to build off. For team sports such as basketball, football, baseball, and hockey, start your handicapping journey by gaining a thorough understanding of the following concepts.
• After opening odds for a slate of games are released, you can immediately start scanning and looking for potentially appealing prospects. Once the market had a chance to react, the odds and lines may begin to adjust. The odds can tell a whole lot about probabilities and potential outcomes, so dedicate time to understanding how they work.
• Homefield advantage can twist odds and lines, so it is important to look past that for a second to determine which team is actually better. It can be advantageous to picture them facing off on a neutral field to help decide this. In addition, there are several power rankings systems that rank teams from top to bottom on overall strength.
• Homefield advantage can be a very big deal. But, there are also teams that do extremely well when playing on the road. As part of your routine, devote time to understanding how the two teams perform in the situation they are facing. You can find a home team in a vulnerable spot, as well as a road team that may be in a position to pounce. But, you won’t find either of them if you don’t take the time to look.
• You will have to look at offense vs. defense on both sides as well as the opposite. For each sport, you can also dig into more specifics, such as an NFL team that has a predicament with pass-catching running backs, or an NBA team that struggles against opposing big men.
• While the recent play is no assurance of what is to come in the future, it is a strong indicator of how things are going for the team overall. If one team is swelling while the other is flailing, you have found an important variable to consider.
IntPicks #1 Sports Handicapping covers all of the major leagues, including the NBA, NFL, MLB, and NCAA. They publish picks for horse racing, college games, and international competitions. IntPicks combines unparalleled data crunching, simulating the games 50,000 times with the actual players, including the factors like the motivation of the injuries, players, the venue, and much more.